- Cardiovascular exercise to support heart health, such as long walks, jogging, or running. Goal: 30 minutes 4 days week.
- Heart conscious dietary changes:
- Include healthy fats like extra virgin olive oil, salmon, avocados and tree nuts
- Take additional Omega 3 fatty acids to increase HDL’s (healthy cholesterol) and decrease cardiovascular inflammation.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, more color means more antioxidants.
- Limit saturated fats (red meat, pork, dairy, fried and processed foods).
- Get adequate sleep (8 hours a night): this is when your body repairs and reduces inflammation. Higher inflammation leads to higher incidence of cardiovascular disease.
- Breathe! This helps bring in circulation to your heart and reduces anxiety that can contribute to heart palpitations. The more we feel stress in our body, the more our heart has to bare.
Delicious holiday meals are often full of all the foods we try to avoid during the year because even though they may taste good, we know they don't make us feel good. What if this year, you could make a holiday meal delicious as well as anti-inflammatory, using...